Serbia broke out on the first place in Europe in the number of revaccinations per million inhabitants. According to the official data of the Government of Serbia, 1,230,836 vaccinations against the corona virus have been performed so far, but also 428,202 revaccinations, which means that the same number of inhabitants are completely protected.
This fantastic success in the competition of the most developed countries, even those in which vaccines are produced, is supplemented by the fact that Serbia is second in Europe in terms of the number of given first doses of vaccine. That is how our country found itself right after Great Britain, which was ahead thanks to the fact that its scientists from Oxford developed a vaccine with the British-Swedish company Astrazeneca. It is precisely the vaccine whose first 150,000 doses arrived at the Belgrade airport on Sunday.
The high pace of procurement continued the next day. Namely, on Monday, a plane with 50,000 doses of the Sputnik vaccine arrived from Russia, which continued the agreed procurement schedule from that country, just as the Deputy Prime Minister in Moscow, Yuri Borisov, promised during his visit to Belgrade for the Meeting.
According to the words of the Minister of Innovation, Nenad Popović, this is the first dose of the vaccine with which another 50,000 people will be able to be vaccinated. Popovic stated that the vaccines arrived from the Biokad factory in St. Petersburg, where a line for the production of the Sputnik vaccine was launched two months ago in the presence of the Russian state leadership.
The race against time
But that was not all. Only a few hours later, another 46,800 vaccines from the Pfizer company arrived, and the Prime Minister Ana Brnabić pointed out that a total of two million doses of vaccines were delivered to Serbia.
The planes with vaccines, therefore, are constantly landing at Belgrade’s “Nikola Tesla” airport, which shows that Serbia is running a great race against time, which is crucial not only for the protection of the population, but also for big economic plans for this year, which include growth of six percent.
President Aleksandar Vučić based that plan on last year’s success, when the domestic economy recorded the smallest decline in the crisis caused by the pandemic, of only one percent, thanks to decisive epidemiological measures.
However, 3,569 currently hospitalized infected people show that there is no place for relaxation, while 151 people are on respirators. President Vučić has previously pointed out that a high level of immunization is needed, and that he expects that Serbia will be able to vaccinate 80% of the nation. Until then, epidemiological measures are in place and the authorities are constantly warning citizens to keep their distance, wear masks and disinfect their hands.
In Belgrade en masse
About 237,000 people were vaccinated in Belgrade, and 121,000 citizens received the second dose, which is of great importance for the entire country, since large cities are generators of the infection. The deputy mayor of Belgrade, Goran Vesić, pointed out that the capital is slowly approaching a situation in which 20% of the adult population will be vaccinated.
– Along with those who have had the crown and already have antibodies, we are coming to a situation where we are approaching the long-desired collective immunity, which means that we will be able to live normally again, of course with some measures that will remain in force – said Vesić.
In front of the USA
At the world level, Serbia is also achieving success, as it is on the 6th place in terms of vaccination rate, after Israel, Seychelles, UAE, Great Britain and the USA. According to the number of revaccinations per million inhabitants in the world, Serbia is third, and it has left behind a force like the USA.
Pfizer the fastest
The representative of the Institute for the Application of Nuclear Energy, Marija Gnjatović, stated that the research showed that all vaccines used in Serbia produce antibodies very well.
According to her, antibodies are formed the slowest after receiving the Chinese Sinofarm vaccine, but it is also expected that the immunity will last longer.
– Pfizer’s vaccine already after the first dose shows results in the production of antibodies, but no one must forget that it is possible for people to become infected even before the second dose – warned Marija Gnjatović.
COVID-19 in the nut
Total number of confirmed cases since the beginning of the epidemic: 436,640
Most patients on a daily basis: 7,999 (December 1)
Maximum number of hospitalized: 9,731 (December 27)
Most patients on respirator: 353 (December 17)
Total number of deaths: 4,337
Most dead of the day: 69 (December 4)
Masks and distance remain
The director of the “Trampoline” Institute, Dr. Verica Jovanović, also pointed out that there must be no relaxation, pointing out that the number of positive cases increased in the previous week in relation to the total number of those tested. She stated that the two specialized covid-hospitals in Batajnica and Krusevac currently have a larger number of patients and warned of strict implementation of measures at least until a high level of immunization is achieved.
– Masks are an integral part of behavior and protection against the transmission of the virus that is present in the community. It is especially manifested after certain gatherings, after non-compliance with measures – said Dr. Jovanović.
She stated that experts from the “Trampoline” Institute appeal to the vaccination to be carried out as much and intensively as possible.
– This example that we have in our country is a great benefit. It is a way to go towards the goal, towards controlling the spread of the infection. Every adult should receive two doses of the vaccine, and 15 days after that they give optimism in terms of protection of all of us – the director of the “Trampoline” Institute emphasized.
She estimated that in fifteen days, about 500,000 people will have solid protection that will contribute to achieving control over the infection. Dr. Jovanovic expects that at least three million people will be vaccinated by the end of June.
– Thanks to the availability of various vaccines and the status of Serbia, when it comes to immunization, not only in the region, but also in Europe and the world, we are slowly moving towards effective control of the infection – concluded Dr. Jovanovic and called on all citizens to be vaccinated.
Let’s help the doctors
Epidemiologist and member of the Crisis Staff, Dr. Predrag Kon, stated that the influx of infected coronavirus into hospitals must be stopped, because doctors and medical staff have been exhausted by the fight that has been going on for a year.
– The growth of the number of newly infected coronaviruses with the virus cannot be as large as before, because the collective immunity is at a level that does not allow it, but we will have an increase that will last for some time – said Dr. Kon.
Get vaccinated now
Virologist Dr. Ana Gligić, who was the head of Torlak’s laboratory at the time of smallpox in 1972, warns that all vaccinated people must wear masks while the virus is in the environment.
– It is important that vaccinated people do not catch the virus, because they will find a way to multiply in the body, although antibodies will neutralize it very quickly. I welcome the mass vaccination also because this is an opportunity to show anti-vaccinators that it is not about chipping. Everything is perfectly organized and it would be good for as many people as possible to be vaccinated in the shortest possible time and for this to stop. Because if the vaccination is extended until the end of the year, and the immunity is weak, we will have a bad situation. The only thing that worries me is the possible mutations of the virus – says Dr. Ana Gligić.
When it comes to children, Dr. Gligić explained that their immunity is different.
– Children have immunity from their mothers and they get in contact, and their immune system is such that it reacts faster than ours, because it is not worn out – explains Dr. Gligić.
#Serbia #Europe #News #online