Thursday, February 25, 2021

United States warns Iran could hold Iran responsible for attacks


“We will hold Iran accountable for the actions of its allies attacking the Americans” in Iraq, said Ned Price, a spokesman for American diplomacy, just hours after mortars were fired at the American embassy in Baghdad.

The official also specified that American forces would, however, avoid fueling an “escalation that would work for Iran”.

A shower of mortars aimed today at the fortified Baghdad Green Zone without causing any deaths, according to the Iraqi army, while security sources said the target was the United States embassy.

Two Iraqi security officials, on condition of anonymity, told the Associated Press that three rockets hit the Green Zone, one of them falling within the perimeters of the vast US embassy complex.

An Iraqi military statement said there were no casualties and that an investigation is underway after the attack caused minor material damage, in particular damaging a vehicle.

In the Green Zone, in addition to the US embassy, ​​the headquarters of the Iraqi government and several diplomatic representations are also located.

This was the third attack on the American presence in the country within a week.

Last Monday, a rain of mortars hit a military base that welcomes foreign troops at the airport in Erbil, the capital of Iraqi Kurdistan, according to the United States-led international coalition that has been helping Iraq since 2014 to fight the jihadist group Islamic.

A foreign civilian contractor who worked with the coalition died and nine people were injured.

Several mortars also hit the entire northwest of the city of Erbil, including residential areas, injuring five civilians, one of whom died from his injuries.

It was the first such attack in nearly two months against Western military or diplomatic installations in Iraq, after dozens of similar incidents last year attributed to pro-Iranian Shiite groups.

On Saturday, a new mortar attack wounded at least one Iraqi employee of an American company hired to handle helicopter maintenance at Balad airbase in Salahaddin province.

Erbil’s attack was claimed by a little-known group calling itself Awliyaa al-Dam or “Guardians of Blood”, who in an online statement said it continued to target US forces in Iraq.

Several Western countries have condemned rocket launches, warning that attacks against the coalition “would not be tolerated”, while the United Nations has warned that Iraq may again plunge into instability.

Also Read: Iraq: New mortar attack hits US embassy perimeter

Always be the first to know.
Fifth consecutive year Consumer Choice for Online Press.
Download our free App.

Google Play Download





#United #States #warns #Iran #hold #Iran #responsible #attacks

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Hot Topics

The European Agency and the WHO also gave a recommendation for the elderly – the Society

The first quantities of Astrazeneka's vaccine, 150,000 doses, arrived in Serbia over the weekend, and Marija Gnjatović from the Institute for the Application...

The “SEHA” Radiology Conference explores the latest innovations and technological developments – UAE – News and Reports

The Abu Dhabi Health Services Company, "SEHA", organized the 10th session of the "SEHA" International Conference on Radiology recently, which comes in line...

Suspect confesses to killing critical Maltese journalist in 2017 | NOW

A suspect in the killing of Maltese anti-corruption journalist Daphne Caruana...

Related Articles

The European Agency and the WHO also gave a recommendation for the elderly – the Society

The first quantities of Astrazeneka's vaccine, 150,000 doses, arrived in Serbia over the weekend, and Marija Gnjatović from the Institute for the Application...

The “SEHA” Radiology Conference explores the latest innovations and technological developments – UAE – News and Reports

The Abu Dhabi Health Services Company, "SEHA", organized the 10th session of the "SEHA" International Conference on Radiology recently, which comes in line...

Suspect confesses to killing critical Maltese journalist in 2017 | NOW

A suspect in the killing of Maltese anti-corruption journalist Daphne Caruana...