According to the British newspaper The Guardian, Italy has deceived the World Health Organization (WHO) about its degree of preparedness to respond to pandemics such as that of covid-19, a factor that will have determined the severity with which the first wave of the disease hit the country.
At stake is the communication that the country made to WHO under the International Health Regulations – a treaty signed by 196 countries to combat the spread of diseases -, having made a self-assessment in which it gave maximum marks to its capacity to prepare with a public health emergency.
This assessment was made on February 4, three weeks before publicly registering the first case of contagion through community transmission of covid-19, and indicated that the country had regularly updated its response and coordination mechanisms to a health emergency. public.
However, last year it was revealed that Italy has not updated its pandemic response plan since 2006, as corroborated by Pier Paolo Lunelli, a retired army general who was charged with investigating the document.
“We lied to Italian citizens when we said that we were ready. Worse, we tried to deceive even the WHO, the EU and the other European countries, by declaring that we have capabilities that, in the light of the facts, we did not have,” pointed out Lunelli.
Italy’s lack of preparation, says The Guardian, may have contributed to 10,000 deaths in the country’s first pandemic wave.
This is also a key element in the investigation that prosecutors in Bergamo are pursuing, and the self-assessment document has already been given as evidence to the families of the victims who filed a court case in December. This province is part of the Lombardy region, which is most severely affected by the pandemic in Italy.
In total, Italy has officially registered 2,8198,863 contagions since the health emergency began about a year ago, with 95,992 deaths associated with the disease.
#Italy #deluded #ability #deal #covid19 #News