FBK director (recognized as a foreign agent) Ivan Zhdanov commented on the European Union’s refusal to impose sanctions against oligarchs close to the Kremlin and President Vladimir Putin.
“I don’t see any particular failure here. <...> Those who violate the rights of citizens, some judges, prosecutors, [глава СКР Александр] Bastrykin and [Генпрокурор РФ Игорь] Krasnov, to this list [санкционный] are included. This is already the first step, “said FBK director Ivan Zhdanov on the air of Echo of Moscow. He also noted that the process of imposing sanctions is “a rather complicated mechanism,” therefore, at this stage, “the first step is important.”
Recall that at the end of January, former FBK executive director Vladimir Ashurkov published a list of people who, in his opinion, should be subject to sanctions from the West in connection with the poisoning of opposition politician Alexei Navalny.
In early February, the FBK even sent letters to the President of the European Commission Ursula von der Leyen and the High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Policy Josep Borrell, calling for sanctions against the inner circle of Russian President Vladimir Putin.
Can Navalny be judged under the article on treason because of calls for sanctions? Lawyer’s opinion
However, soon the European media began to report that oligarchs close to the Kremlin would not fall under EU sanctions. According to the head of European diplomacy, Josep Borrell, there are no legal grounds for sanctions against Russian oligarchs and restrictions cannot be imposed against those “who do not like it.”
The day before, Reuters, citing its own sources, reported that the ministers of foreign affairs of the EU states had agreed on the introduction of individual sanctions against the heads of the TFR Alexander Bastrykin, the FSIN Alexander Kalashnikov, the National Guard Viktor Zolotov and Prosecutor General Igor Krasnov. The heads of law enforcement agencies will be banned from entering the EU, and if they have assets in European banks, they will be frozen.
We add that opposition politician Alexei Navalny returned from Germany, where he received treatment after poisoning, to Russia on January 17. On the same day he was detained, the next day the Khimki City Court extended his detention by 30 days.
From the phone of Yulia Navalnaya seized during the search, messages began to come to her friends
On February 2, the Simonovsky Court of Moscow granted the FSIN’s petition and replaced Alexey Navalny’s suspended sentence of 3.5 years in prison in the Yves Rocher case with a real one. Taking into account being in a pre-trial detention center and under house arrest, the politician will stay behind bars for 2.5 years and will be released in August 2023. On February 20, the Babushkinsky District Court of Moscow announced the verdict to Alexei Navalny in the case of libel against the veteran of the Great Patriotic War Ignat Artemenko. The court found the politician guilty and sentenced him to a fine of 850 thousand rubles. In addition, we add that a criminal case of fraud has also been initiated against Navalny. However, no investigative actions have yet been taken in this case.
Last week, the European Court of Human Rights called for Navalny’s immediate release. The instruction to Russia was addressed in accordance with Rule 39 of the ECtHR regulation on the application of interim measures. The Ministry of Justice said that no one is going to release Navalny, since there is no reason for this.
On January 23 and 31, as well as on February 2, large-scale rallies and processions in support of Navalny were held throughout Russia, at which more than 11 thousand people were detained. At least 90 criminal cases were initiated.
Do you want independent media in the country? Support Znak.com
#FBK #director #commented #refusal #European #Union #impose #sanctions #Kremlin #oligarchs