International media including the BBC reports on the incident.
Christopher Pekny (28) from the town of Liberty assembled the device himself. It exploded on Sunday afternoon. Christopher died. His brother Michael (27) was injured and had to go to hospital.
New York police are investigating the explosion. A spokesman told the New York Times that the device that exploded was “some sort of pipe.”
The victim’s oldest brother, Peter Pekny Jr, describes the incident as “the most bizarre of the bizarre incidents.”
Gender reveal is dangerous
Gender reveal parties have become a hip phenomenon in recent years, where the sex of the unborn baby is shared with friends and family. Usually a shooter is fired from which pink or blue chips fall, a cloth is revealed or balloons are used, or smoke bombs and fireworks are set off.
But gender reveal parties do not rarely end wrong. Americans want ‘big, bigger, biggest’. The BBC speaks of ‘a series of catastrophes’ that is linked to megalomaniac versions of the party, which also resulted in fatalities.
A Michigan man was killed earlier this month after being hit by shrapnel fired from “a small gun-like device” during a baby shower, police said. In addition, gender reveal parties are said to have sparked wildfires in Arizona (2017) and California (December 2020). In the latest fire in El Dorado, hundreds of people fled their homes and the fire gripped the region for a week.
#Fathertobe #dead #due #exploding #gender #reveal #device #Remarkable