Holidays in Ukraine and the world on February 23
Plutonium production and the birthday of the emperor of Japan are the most interesting holidays on February 23 on Korrespondent.net.
In the Gregorian calendar, February 23 is the 54th day of 2021. There are 311 days left until the end of the year.
What are the holidays on February 23 in Ukraine and the world
- World Pet Sterilization Day
- Defender of the Fatherland Day in Belarus and Kyrgyzstan
- National Day in Brunei
- Republic Day of Guyana
- Emperor’s birthday in Japan, it is an official public holiday that coincides with the actual birthday of the reigning emperor of Japan, Naruhito.
What events happened on February 23
- 1874 – English Major Walter Wingfield received a patent for a field (court) for the game, which he himself called lawn tennis.
- 1886 – American Charles Hall obtained aluminum by the electrolytic method.
- 1893 Rudolf Diesel received a patent for a diesel plant.
- 1903 Cuba leases the Guantanamo base to the United States.
- 1941 – A group of American scientists led by Glenn Seaborg obtained plutonium for the first time.
- 1947 – The International Organization for Standardization (ISO) was founded.
- 1959 – The First Session of the European Court of Human Rights opens in Strasbourg.
Who was born on February 23
- 1744 – the founder of the international dynasty of entrepreneurs Mayer Amschel Rothschild.
- 1879 – Russian abstract artist, author Black square Kazimir Malevich.
- 1884 – Polish-American biochemist Kazimierz Funk, who introduced the concept of vitamin.
- 1925 – Ukrainian opera singer Elizaveta Chavdar.
- 1928 – Soviet cosmonaut Vasily Lazarev.
- 1944 – theater and film actor, director Oleg Yankovsky.
- 1954 – the third president of Ukraine (2005-2010) Viktor Yushchenko.
- 1960 – Emperor Naruhito of Japan.
- 1983 – British actress Emily Blunt.
Folk and church holidays 23 February
The Orthodox Church honors the memory the holy martyr Charalampius, Bishop of Magnesia and the Monk Prokhor Pechersky, Lebednika.
Charalampius suffered for his faith in 202. The bishop of the Thessalian city of Magnesia (northeastern region of Greece) successfully spread Christianity for which he was captured by the proconsul Lucian.
According to legend, Harlampy was 113 years old when he was subjected to terrible tortures. During the torture, he performed many miracles and many eyewitnesses of these events believed in Christ.
As a result, the saint was sentenced to death in the face of the emperor Septimius Severus himself. On the way to the place of execution, Charalampius prayed that in the place where his relics would rest, no one would suffer from hunger or disease. After praying, he passed away even before the executioner’s sword touched his neck.
The emperor’s daughter Galina was so shocked by the death of the saint that she became a Christian and buried him herself.
Saint Prokhor lived in the 12th century. He got his nickname Lebednik because he ate not ordinary bread, but from quinoa. He collected it, ground it into flour and made bread. He also drank nothing but water and kept himself in absolute rigor.
When at one time there was no salt in Russia, Prokhor collected ash from all the cells and, having prayed, turned it into salt. The more salt the saint distributed, the more it became.
The Monk Prokhor, the wonderworker of Pechersk
Traditions and rites
The people called this day Prokhor, Prokhorov day, Prokhor and Kharlampia, Prokhor Vesnovay.
The last nickname was due to the fact that at this time the turn for the spring began. There were sayings: “Prokhor – turn to warmth” and “Although February is angry with Prokhor, he smells spring.”
At the same time, they did not enjoy the warmth prematurely, since the weather in February can be very deceiving.
Haralampia was revered by the people as a guardian from sudden death without repentance, as a patron saint of domestic animals, a protector of the harvest. He was also prayed for welfare and deliverance from hunger.
Signs on February 23
- If the weather is frosty on Prokhor in the next six days, then it will be warm in March.
- If the sky is cloudless on February 23, the summer will be with rains.
- Frosty day on Prokhor – wait for a warm March.
- Clear month on Prokhor – there will be thunderstorms.
Who has a name day today
Name days on February 23 are celebrated by: Anna, Anthony, Arkady, Valentina, Vasily, Galina, Gennady, German, Grigory, Ivan, Luka, Mark, Pavel, Peter.
News from Correspondent.net in Telegram. Subscribe to our channel https://t.me/korrespondentnet
#February #holiday #today #events #signs #traditions