Human rights activists and immigrant Jewish families, mostly from Yemen, have claimed for decades that thousands of children were taken from their parents after 1948.
According to them, the children were given to Ashkenazi Jewish couples (originally from Central and Eastern Europe) from Israel and abroad. The doctors then assured the biological parents that their little ones had died, but did not hand over their bodies. This case gave rise to accusations of racism and “discrimination” made by Sephardim (Eastern Jews) against the Ashkenazi-controlled “institution” that founded the state.
“It is time for the suffering of the families from which the babies were taken to be recognized by the state (…) and for these families to be compensated,” said Benjamin Netanyahu. He stressed, however, that the money would not make up for the “terrible” and “unbearable” suffering of families in Yemen or other Arab countries and the Balkans.
The state will pay a total of 162 million shekels to families (about 41 million euros). The families of the dead children whose burial place is unknown will receive 150,000 shekels (approximately 37,800 euros). And the families of the children whose fate remains unknown will receive 200,000 shekels, Israeli Finance Minister Israel Katz said on Monday.
In 2016, Benjamin Netanyahu said he was in favor of opening files that would remain secret until 2031. A few months later, the country opened the archives. Over the years, several official investigations have concluded that most of the missing children have died, highlighting the poor sanitation in the camps where their families had been housed.
Shortly after the creation of the state of Israel, the authorities set up camps to manage the flow of new Jewish immigrants, mainly from Arab countries, including 30,000 Yemenis. Official investigations have not dispelled any doubts. In 2018, Israeli justice authorized the opening of graves of Jewish children who died in the 1950s, as well as genetic testing to try to shed light on these disappearances.
„The state is trying to silence families with ridiculous and partial compensation without acknowledging responsibility for what happened. “, wrote the Ahim VeKayamim association, which brings together the families of missing children on their Facebook account.
For the most important news of the day, broadcast in real time and presented equidistantly, LIKE our Facebook page!
Follow Mediafax on Instagram to see spectacular images and stories from around the world!
The content of the website www.mediafax.ro is intended exclusively for your personal information and use. It is prohibited republishing the content of this site in the absence of an agreement from MEDIAFAX. To obtain this agreement, please contact us at [email protected]
#Israel #compensate #families #children #disappeared #1950s #Doctors #assured #biological #parents #died #bodies