The UAE has strongly condemned the cowardly attack that targeted a United Nations World Food Program convoy near Goma in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo, and resulted in the death of the Italian ambassador and two others. In a statement, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation affirmed that the UAE expresses its strong condemnation of these criminal acts, and its permanent rejection of all forms of violence aimed at destabilizing security and stability, and contrary to religious and humanitarian values and principles. The Ministry also expressed its sincere condolences and condolences to the families of the victims, due to this heinous crime.
A brutal and cowardly attack
And Italy and the United Nations announced earlier, that the Italian ambassador to the Democratic Republic of the Congo, his bodyguard and a driver from the World Food Program were killed in an attack on their convoy in the east of the country on Monday. Italian President Sergio Mattarella denounced the “cowardly attack” during which Rome’s ambassador to the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Luca Atanazio, was killed, along with an Italian policeman, Vittorio Yakovaci, and their driver. Mattarella added, “The Italian Republic is in mourning for state employees who lost their lives while carrying out their duties.”
Italian Foreign Minister Luigi Di Maio expressed his deep sadness and deep dissatisfaction, announcing that he had cut short his participation in a meeting with his European counterparts in Brussels and his early return to Rome.
Atanazio has served as Italy’s ambassador to the Democratic Republic of the Congo since October 2019, having arrived in the country in 2017 as head of mission. The attack took place in the same town where two British tourists were briefly kidnapped in 2018.
The rebels are behind the attack
The DRC government accused the Hutu rebels of being behind the attack, noting that the attackers also kidnapped four people, one of whom was found.
“I promise the Italian government that the government of my country will do everything in its power to uncover who is behind this horrific crime,” the Congolese Foreign Minister, Marie Ntumba Naziza, said in previous statements after the announcement of the attack.
The World Food Program said the delegation was on its way to visit the school feeding program in Rutshuru. He added that the road had been secured for travel without security escorts.
European officials expressed their condolences to the family of Italian Ambassador Luca Atanazio. European Council President Charles Michel said: I was shocked to learn of the news of the attack on the WFP convoy in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and the casualties. He added: I express my sincere condolences to the families of those killed in the attack … Security and peace must be restored. The European Union will stand with the Democratic Republic of the Congo and its people. European Parliament President David Sassoli expressed his deep sorrow over the casualties in the attack.
Bahrain, Egypt and Jordan also expressed their condolences over the killing of the Italian ambassador to the Democratic Republic of the Congo. “We express our sincere condolences and sincere sympathy for the killing of the Italian ambassador to the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Luca Atanazio, following an attack by armed men on a United Nations convoy, with calls for God to inspire his family and his relatives,” Ambassador Ahmed Hafez, the spokesman for the Egyptian Foreign Ministry wrote on Twitter. Patience and fortitude”.
#UAE #killing #Italian #ambassador #Congo #criminal #act