The mother of an 11-year-old boy who died after a power outage and heating in their caravan in Texas during last week’s cold snap has filed a lawsuit seeking $ 100 million in damages from two electricity companies, accusing them of serious .
Maria Pinenta complains that electricity providers ERCOT and Entergy Corps are responsible for the death of her son Christian, who was found unconscious on the morning of February 16 in their caravan, where he was sleeping in the same bed with his 3-year-old brother.
More than 4 million people in Texas found themselves in the dark and at least 20 died after a blizzard hit the state last week, dropping mercury many degrees below zero.
The lawsuit filed Saturday states that the defendants ignored the recommendations of the Federal Energy Commission, after the cold snap of 2011, to prepare the power grid for the winter and were caught “completely unprepared” when the grid collapsed last week.
“Christian died of the cold,” because the grid was not a priority and the energy providers made profit-driven decisions, “said a document filed in Jefferson County Court.
The family lives in Conroe, Texas, a suburb of Houston.
Pinenta’s lawyer, Tony Bazby, told ABC News that he represented seven families who lost loved ones the day after the storm, and that new lawsuits were being filed against electricity companies. An autopsy is being performed on Christian, ABC News reported.
ERCOT, a cooperative responsible for 90 percent of Texas electricity, has not responded to a request for comment, and an Entergy spokesman, who declined to comment, said: “We are deeply saddened by the loss of life in the community. us”.
#seeking #million #compensation #death #11yearold #son