Thursday, February 25, 2021

Six dead after the Ebola outbreak in Guinea and Congo



Conakry –

According to the pan-African health authority Africa CDC, the renewed Ebola outbreak in the African states of Guinea and Congo also threatens neighboring countries.

  • Ebola outbreak in Guinea and the Congo
  • WHO warns of spread
  • States are better positioned in the fight against Ebola than they were a few years ago

Ebola in Africa: Corona countries already affected

“He poses a serious threat,” said Africa CDC director John Nkengasong at a video conference. He meets countries that have already been badly affected in the fight against the corona pandemic. Matshidiso Moeti, WHO director responsible for Africa, also spoke of a double challenge.

However, this time the affected countries are better positioned than they were five years ago, he said. The last outbreak in West Africa resulted in 28,000 cases and 11,310 deaths in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone between 2014 and 2016.

WHO warns of Ebola outbreak in Africa: So far six deaths

The World Health Organization (WHO) also warned of the risk of the dangerous Ebola disease spreading, as the second largest city in Guinea – Nzérékoré – is located at an important transport hub with connections to Liberia and Ivory Coast.

“So far, however, no contacts have been reported who have traveled to neighboring countries,” said the WHO. According to the CDC, six people have died of the disease in Guinea so far. The city of Nzérékoré is particularly affected. However, one of the eight confirmed cases is also in the capital Conakry.

This is how an Ebola infection manifests itself

An Ebola infection usually leads to a high fever and internal bleeding and is very often fatal. The authorities want to use the experience of the 2014 outbreak and the corona pandemic to stop the new Ebola epidemic quickly. The population now also knows about the risks of the pandemic and is reacting accordingly, said Nkengasong.

In eastern Congo, an Ebola outbreak that lasted almost two years and killed 2,299 was declared over last June, but a new case was recorded there in early February. This is the twelfth Ebola outbreak in the Congo. According to the latest figures from WHO and CDC, there were now a total of two deaths and four confirmed cases in the cities of Biena and Katwa. (dpa)





#dead #Ebola #outbreak #Guinea #Congo

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Hot Topics

The European Agency and the WHO also gave a recommendation for the elderly – the Society

The first quantities of Astrazeneka's vaccine, 150,000 doses, arrived in Serbia over the weekend, and Marija Gnjatović from the Institute for the Application...

The “SEHA” Radiology Conference explores the latest innovations and technological developments – UAE – News and Reports

The Abu Dhabi Health Services Company, "SEHA", organized the 10th session of the "SEHA" International Conference on Radiology recently, which comes in line...

Suspect confesses to killing critical Maltese journalist in 2017 | NOW

A suspect in the killing of Maltese anti-corruption journalist Daphne Caruana...

Related Articles

The European Agency and the WHO also gave a recommendation for the elderly – the Society

The first quantities of Astrazeneka's vaccine, 150,000 doses, arrived in Serbia over the weekend, and Marija Gnjatović from the Institute for the Application...

The “SEHA” Radiology Conference explores the latest innovations and technological developments – UAE – News and Reports

The Abu Dhabi Health Services Company, "SEHA", organized the 10th session of the "SEHA" International Conference on Radiology recently, which comes in line...

Suspect confesses to killing critical Maltese journalist in 2017 | NOW

A suspect in the killing of Maltese anti-corruption journalist Daphne Caruana...