In one Press Conference last weekend, the United States warned China of the use of force in disputed waters, reasserting that Beijing’s campaign to assert sovereignty in the South China Sea was illegal.
US State Department spokesman Ned Price told reporters the country’s “concern” about the new Chinese customs law, saying it could escalate Ongoing maritime and territorial disputes:
We are particularly interested in the language of the law, which explicitly refers to the possible use of force, including the armed forces of the Chinese coast, in asserting the country’s sovereignty in the where there are territorial and maritime disputes in the South China Sea. ”
The language includes the text that allows (China’s) coast guard to destroy the economic structures of other countries, and the use of force to defend China’s maritime claims in other countries. The disputed area, strongly implied that the law could be used to threaten neighboring countries in waters over which the People’s Republic of China asserted sovereignty, ” he said.
Spokeswoman Ned Price added to reporters:
The United States reaffirms its July 13, 2020 statement regarding maritime claims in the South China Sea. And reminded China of its obligations under the Charter of the United Nations, to refrain from acts of intimidation or the use of force, and to abide by the Law of the International Sea, as reflected in the Convention. Law of the Sea 1982. Our position on PRC’s maritime claims remains consistent with the 2016 Arbitral Tribunal’s conclusion that China does not have a legal claim in the areas where it is located. claimed to be in the exclusive economic zone or continental shelf of the Philippines. ”
In response to a Financial Times reporter question whether the United States has directly raised this concern with Beijing, Mr. Price replied:
‘When it comes to the law of coast guard, we have strong ties with America’s allies and partners, such as the Philippines, Vietnam, Indonesia, Japan and other countries that face this kind of pressure. acceptable by PRC in the South China Sea. I don’t want to describe any conversations with Beijing on this matter. We have of course emphasized that the first and foremost thing on the Biden administration’s agenda is the coordination between partners and allies, and we have certainly discussed it very well. there.”
US policy was made clearer by Mr. Price, when he told the Wall Street Journal about the Biden administration’s views regarding the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea. He said:
We reaffirm China’s July 13, 2020 statement regarding China’s undue and illegal maritime claims in the South China Sea. Our stance on the PRC’s maritime claims, remains consistent with the 2016 Arbitral Tribunal’s conclusion that China does not have a legal claim in areas it deems special economic rights or continental shelf of the Philippines. ”
” We also reject any claim of the PRC to waters beyond 12 nautical miles of territorial sea, from islands over which it claims sovereignty in Truong Sa. China’s harassment of other claimants in these disputed areas, state hydrocarbon exploration, or fishing, or unilateral exploitation of these marine resources is illegal. ”
The United States has long rejected China’s aggressive claims to strategic waterways, but under Donald Trump, Secretary of State Pompeo went further by clearly backing the states’ stance. Southeast Asia like the Philippines and Vietnam, instead of standing out of the dispute.
Foreign Minister Antony Blinken, prior to the press conference, also voiced concerns about China’s new maritime law in a phone call with his Japanese counterpart, Toshimitsu Motegi.
Mr. Blinken at that time reaffirmed that the Senkaku Islands in the East China Sea – also claimed by Beijing, known as Diaoyu and Taiwan – were part of a security treaty that pledged the United States and Japan to protect each other. together.
Previously, US-based technology company Simularity’s South China Sea Rapid Alert Service released images of the Wickerwork Stone showing China having new activities in the water area since late 2020 in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, according to Inquirer.
Satellite images show changes taking place at seven sites of Vanh Vai Stone.
Marine expert Dr Jay Batongbacal said on a Facebook post that the new buildings with radar appear to be in the final stages, construction equipment and barracks are being shipped to and some areas. could be under cleanup for newer buildings.
#United #States #warned #Beijing #force #South #China #Sea