The stalemate in Tehran’s cooperation with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) over the non-lifting of US sanctions on Iran has been resolved for three months now.
The agreement was announced after IAEA Director General Rafael Grossi’s visit to Tehran. News from BBC and Reuters.
A joint statement issued by Iran and the IAEA on Sunday said that the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) would be able to carry out “emergency” inspections of Iran’s nuclear facilities for the next three months.
The statement said that the two sides will continue to work on the agreement reached between Iran and the IAEA during Grossi’s previous visit to Tehran on August 26, 2020.
The statement said that Iran would suspend the implementation of the NPT’s supplementary protocol from February 23 on the basis of a law passed by the Iranian parliament.
This means that IAEA inspectors will no longer be able to inspect Iran’s nuclear facilities without prior announcement. However, Iran will fully abide by the ‘Safeguard Agreement’ signed between the two sides as before.
The joint statement further said that in the next three months, IAEA inspectors will be able to carry out their inspection work in Iran as per the pre-announced deadline.
Iran’s parliament passed a law last December that would force President Rouhani’s government to suspend implementation of the supplementary protocol unless the United States lifts sanctions on Iran within the next two months.
On the basis of that law, Iran informed the IAEA last week that unless the sanctions were lifted by February 21, Tehran would not accept any more inspectors from February 23 without prior announcement.
After receiving the ultimatum from Iran, IAEA Director General Rafael Grossi rushed to Tehran on Saturday. In the end, the two sides announced that his visit to Iran was fruitful.
#Irans #temporary #agreement #IAEA