The Ebola virus has erupted again in the eastern part of the Democratic Republic of Congo
22 Feb. 2021, 11:01
2831 read 0 comments
Four people have died from the Ebola virus since it broke out again in the eastern part of the Democratic Republic of Congo, where the population disagrees with sanitary measures and this raises fears of a significant spread of the epidemic, AFP reported, citing an official source.
Since it became clear on February 7 that the epidemic was returning, “we have already identified six cases of Ebola. We have lost four patients. Two died on Friday and Saturday. We continue to care for two patients at the Ebola Treatment Center in Catua,” he said. Dr. Eugene Sialita, head of health authorities in the eastern province of North Kivu. Two other patients died on February 3 and 10.
“Some families flatly refuse to disinfect their homes, as well as decent burials accompanied by protective measures,” said Dr. Cialita. “People have not yet realized that Ebola has just returned, things are not clear to them yet,” he added.
As in the past, the population of this region refuses to believe that Ebola exists, and opposes measures against the virus – for example, to avoid touching the sick or not to wash the bodies of those who died from this disease.
The second Ebola epidemic, declared in the region on August 1, 2018, was eliminated only on June 25, 2020 due to the insecurity caused by the actions of armed groups and the resistance against sanitary measures among the local population.
With more than 2,200 reported deaths, it is considered the worst ever in the history of Ebola in the DRC since its outbreak in 1976.
On November 18, 2020, the DRC officially announced that the 11th Ebola epidemic in the province of Equator had been eradicated, killing 55 of the 130 infected
#Horror #deadly #plague #returned #Earth #victims